Detailed Car Reviews
and advice

Car diary


Manage your Insurance, MOT, Servicing and Tax from one place!

mobile phone


Upload your car advert direct from your mobile phone for only £3!


New Road Tax Prices

New road tax prices are coming into effect as of April 2009.

Find out every thing there is to know about road tax prices, how it effects your budget, and the cheapest cars to tax.

Current Tax System

Everybody in the UK that uses or keeps a vehicle on a public road must display a valid tax disc on the vehicle. As the registered owner of a car, it?s your responsibility to tax it.

The cost of taxing your vehicle depends on at least one of the following three factors:

  • The vehicles age
  • Engine capacity
  • The level of CO2 emissions

Pre-1974 vehicles

If you're lucky enough to own a vintage vehicle such as a Morris Minor or the classic Cadillac Coupe De Ville, then you're also lucky enough to avoid having to pay any road tax whatsoever.

Cars manufactured from 1974-2001

For cars registered between 1974 and March 1, 2001, tax is calculated according to engine size:

  • Cars under 1549cc cost £115 per year.
  • Cars over 1549cc cost £180 per year.

Cars manufactured post 2001

Band Co2 emisions (g/km) Cost Example
A Up to 100 N/A Seat Ibiza Ecomotive
B 101-120 £35 Toyota Prius hybrid
C 121-150 £120 Citroën C5 1.6-litre diesel
D 151-165 £145 Peugeot 307 1.4-litre petrol
E 166-185 £170 Ford Mondeo saloon 1.8i-litre petrol
F Over 186 £210 BMW 5 series estate 3.0-litre diesel
G Over 226 £400 Jaguar X type saloon 2.0-litre petrol

Road tax prices April 2009 to March 2010

Like the current system, cars will be placed in road tax bands depending on the level of CO2 emissions that they emit. In addition 6 new tax bands will be added for the most-polluting vehicles. This only applies to post 2001 manufacturered vehicles

For your cars exact CO2 emission figure, check your cars handbook, and use the table below to work out how much your car tax will cost next year.

Band Co2 emisions (g/km) Today's Road Tax Cost 2009 Road Tax Cost Example
A 0-100 N/A N/A Seat Ibiza Ecomotive
B 101-110 £35 £20 Toyota Aygo 1.0 VVT-i
C 111-120 £35 £30 Smart ForTwo coupe
D 121-130 £120 £90 Mini Cooper
E 131-140 £120 £110 Vauxhall Corsa 1.0i 12v
F 141-150 £120 £120 Peugeot 207 1.4
G 151-160 £145 £150 Ford Focus 1.6 Duratec
H 161-170 £145 £175 Volkswagen Golf 1.6 FSI
I 171-180 £170 £205 Mazda MX-5 1.8
J 181-200 £210 £260 Audi TT 2.0 coupe TFSI
K 201-225 £210 £300 BMW X5 3.0
L 226-255 £400 £415 Mercedes C-Class C280
M 255+ £400 £440 Range Rover Sport 3.6 TDV6

Changes to road tax in 2010?

If you buy a new car after April 2010, you'll have to pay a new first-year rate, referred to as 'showroom tax', calculated on the CO2 emissions that your car emits.

New cars which emit less than 130g/km of CO2 will be exempt from car tax for the first year, but more polluting cars will have higher fees. For example it'll cost £950 to tax a vehicle which emits more than 255g/km for the first year, then £455 each year thereafter.

Road Tax Exemption

You are exempt from paying road tax if you fulfil any of the following criteria:

  • Any car which emits less than 100g/km of CO2 (band A vehicles)
  • Electric cars
  • Any car which emits less than 100g/km of CO2 (band A vehicles)
  • Motorists who declare Statutory Off Road Notification, or SORN (if your car won't be used or parked on a public road for 12 months)
  • Disabled drivers with road tax exemption certificate DLA404
  • Motorists who receive the War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement and have a WPA442 form
  • Vehicles registered before January 1, 1974

Car tax FAQ's

Q: What if I forget to renew my current tax disc?
A: A V11 reminder form will be sent out to you three weeks before the expiry date

Q: Can my tax band change?
A: Yes. Your car's tax band may change if any modification or fuel type alterations are made. This will require a tax disc exchange, ask for a V70 form from the DVLA.

Q: Is it cheaper to buy a six-month or twelve-month tax disc?
A: 12-month tax discs are slightly cheaper. View our money-saving tax tip for more information.

Q: What happens if I move house or change my landline phone number?
A: Contact the DVLA and inform them of any change to personal information.

Q: I've lost my tax disc! What should I do?
A: If your disc is misplaced, damaged or faded, fill in a V20 DVLA form for a replacement

Q: Are there any changes being made to the tax bands?
A: The maximum price of band G vehicle tax will rise from £300 to £400 on April 1, 2008.

Q: How long do tax discs last for?
A: Tax discs can be purchased for either a six month or one year period.

Q: I?m going on holiday. Do I still have to pay tax?
A: Yes. Don't forget that car tax still expires when you're abroad. It's a good idea to renew your tax early if this is the case, which is possible up to two months before the expiry date. You can always ask someone else to renew it for you.

Q: What happens if I move house or change my home number?
A: Always let the DVLA know if your personal details change.

Apply for road tax

All car tax disc's must be purchased via the DVLA. This can be done by visiting your local post office, visiting the DVLA?s tax disc website and following the instructions, or by calling the DVLA tax office on: 0870 850 4444.

What proofs do I need when I apply for road tax?

  1. The reference number on your V11 reminder form or the code from your V5 Registration certificate.
  2. A valid MOT test certificate
  3. Payment
  4. Vehicle registration number
  5. Valid car insurance certificate


Make sure you read up on our car buying guides and car ownership information, to make your motoring life alot easier

car reviews and advice for motorists
Bookmark and Share